Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Resources for Young Aspiring Authors

I'm getting ready to do some speaking engagements for teens and wanted to share tips on how this generation of aspiring authors can hone their skills and, perhaps, catch the eye of the publishing industry. I'm amazed at how quickly things have evolved online - even within the past year. Now there are places where teens can share their work, get feedback, and even make a name for themselves that could, in some cases, be parlayed into traditional publishing success (whatever "traditional" means anymore - even that has been evolving at light speed).

Because things move so fast, I'm positive I don't know about all of the great writing sites out there for teens. I do know about Figment, obviously. I also have been following InkPop, which just became part of Figment. Smashwords seems to be another place where writers can share their stuff. So what else is out there? I'm asking the question here on my blog so I can compile the answers in comments for future reference.

Help me out, friends and readers: What are some good online resources for teens who dream of becoming authors?

Edited to add: Aha! I just remembered I'd pinned something on Pinterest the other day about another writing site for teens: Movellas! 

6 comments:

  1. I see a lot of teens using Watpadd.com. I know that a few of the self-published books that made the news for being bought by publishing houses, like Brittany Geragotelis, author of the Life's a Witch YA series, she used Wattpad.com

    TeenInk.com has been around forever, and still seems to be going strong.

    Maybe storywrite.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah!! Watpadd was the one I had stuck in my mind and couldn't remember - thank you! And Thank you for the others as well. I will definitely check them out.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teen Ink www.teenink.com and Teen Voices www.teenvoices.com. I have a few others listed at www.yvonneventresca.com/page6.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful - thank you, Yvonne. I will check it out!

      Delete
  4. I have always liked writing stories however I didn't really know what to use for a website to share them on, I am currently using blogger.com. Any advice would be really appreciated.
    http://rscottsstories.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! Just keep your comments respectful and be kind to others, please.